Sunswap is currently seeking an Electric Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Aftermarket Engineer based at our headquarters in Leatherhead.
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring the TRU is designed for easy and cost-effective maintenance and repair. The engineer will work closely with the product development and manufacturing teams to design, test, and implement features that improve serviceability and reduce downtime. They will assist in building and training a team of technicians, internally and externally, as well as manage the technical elements of setup of a Vehicle Maintenance unit (VMU).
The Aftermarket Engineer will eventually become the escalation point for issues, attempting to repair remotely and investigating machine logs to gain better understanding of the nature of faults. It will require a technically competent applicant with the ability to clearly communicate courses of action and work as part of a team.
- Gain in depth technical (mechanical/electronic/software) understanding of our TRU
- Collaborate with the Mechanical Design Engineers, focusing on hardware product design ensuring simplicity, minimum specialist tooling and published technical documentation.
- Assess serviceability and repairability by reviewing drawings/CAD and physical methods and assess specialist tooling requirements
- Raise and prioritise engineering change requests (ECRs) to ensure product is optimised for serviceability
- Ensure all Aftermarket deliverables are identified and achieved
- Define and implement engineering test requests for Aftermarket use cases Create and maintain service bill of materials (BOMs)
- Author maintenance documentation for relevant mechanical and electrical maintenance procedures.
- Become an engineering escalation point for technicians and field support staff for maintenance
- Provide technical interviews for internal and external technicians
- Carry out product level training to our maintenance providers
- Assist customers over the phone with troubleshooting and repairs, as well as creating reports for field support technicians
- Cost based Serviceability assessments, raise engineering change requests and maintenance documentation and training content (not including electrical)
- Provide technical training to technicians, involving analysing technical cases from internal and external technicians
- Aftermarket maintenance, design and training requirements
- Manage the setup of vehicle maintenance units (VMUs)
- Design and manage Aftermarket test rigs as required
- Provide Aftermarket cost forecast analysis on all serviceable parts
- Define onboard diagnostic and cloud based prognostic solutions
- Lead weekly technical communications with subcontractors and provide support on trials
- A strong mechanical/electrical aptitude and ability to understand complex systems
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant field (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with CAD and reviewing design standards
- Good knowledge of service BoMs
- The ability to troubleshoot electrical systems
- Proven experience in serviceability and maintenance for refrigerated trailers, HVAC or similar systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interpret/execute written instructions as well as work collaboratively as part of a wider team across the business
- A ‘can do’ attitude and be able to work within the timescales set through the SLA’s
- The ability to design and provide solutions to a wide range of complex problems
- A valid UK driver’s license
- A passion for the environment and being a force for good
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage your time
What we offer you:
- 30 days holiday (including Wellness Day)
- Employee Share Options
- Sabbatical (after 3 years)
- Monthly paid lunches & Quarterly Socials!
- 5% employer matched pension contribution
- 5 free counselling sessions through our Employee Assistance Programme
- Sunswap Welcome pack including laptop, Sunswap merch and treats
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans