The Lead Mechanical Design Engineer will take a leading position within Sunswap’s Mechanical Design Engineering Team developing mechanical aspects of our battery-solar powered refrigeration technology.
It is an opportunity to challenge yourself with tight design constraints and product cost targets, pushing the limits of what is possible to deliver profitable and reliable state-of-the art technology. You will be required to use your knowledge about various manufacturing techniques from extruded aluminium, vacuum forming, bonded aluminium to name a few.
As Sunswap introduces new products, there will be opportunities to lead on Design for Manufacture in early stages of a development cycles from concept through to detailed design, system integration, build and certification.
- Be the technical leader on mechanical design work packages and projects
- Rapidly produce high-quality mechanical designs using CAD
- Design product for volume manufacture, balancing assembly time, part cost, supplier count, tooling cost, performance and quality
- Expand Sunswap’s knowledge of various manufacturing techniques
- Optimise the design of components and systems using functional and analytical tools, including hand calculations and FEA where appropriate
- Specify and source mechanical components
- Develop, manage, and maintain technical documentation like Bills of Materials, DFMEA, Component Specifications and Technical Instructions
- Support the assembly of the prototype products and identify optimisation opportunities in the assembly process
- Experience of thriving in a cross functional environment, where collaboration is key to meet deadlines.
- A degree in mechanical, automotive, aerospace engineering or equivalent industry experience.
- Expertise in a wide range of manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience having delivered mechanical systems from concept to production.
- Excellent CAD skills – including part design, electrical integration, sheet metal design, fixtures and engineering drawings.
- An awareness of good engineering practices and analysis methods.
- Experience in automotive / transport / motorsport / electrical systems, complying with industry standards, safety processes and certification.
- A strong understanding of assembly processes, production methods and an ability to assess the manufacturability of parts.
What we offer you:
- 30 days holiday (including Wellness Day)
- Employee Share Options
- Sabbatical (after 3 years)
- Monthly paid lunches & Quarterly Socials!
- 5% employer matched pension contribution
- 5 free counselling sessions through our Employee Assistance Programme
- Sunswap Welcome pack including laptop, Sunswap merch and treats
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans